In May 1867, having been led by the spirit of God, newly freed slaves from Charleston joined with their ministers to establish the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church in East Flat Rock, North Carolina. With no permanent meeting house and only circuit riding clergymen, the faithful walked great distances to share services with other congregations or worshipped in brush arbors and sheds. In 1887, members had saved enough money to buy land and construct a simple sanctuary, which also served through the week as a self-supporting school and community center. Deacons addressed moral transgressions at Saturday meetings, three sermons were delivered on Sunday, and baptisms were conducted year-round in the icy waters of Mud Creek. In 1933, the church moved to its present location on Roper Road in East Flat Rock.